Thursday, April 9, 2009

Choosing Steelhead Gear.

There that is the end of it, excepting one thing. We, fly fishermen have an eternal practice of complicating things. A 7 weight, in my view is the ultimate all around steelhead rod, that may work for any steelhead conditions. Fishing for halibut. However if you are fishing out west in big water, under gusty conditions, fighting larger than average fish, then you'll be cursing your 7 weight rod in almost no time, as being too light. 2 handed rods permit the longest casting and can lengthen the fishing season, when high waters would force one off the brook, when employing a single handed rod. While playing a steelhead, the reel becomes way more than simply a place to store your fly line. There are still ultra purists who consider casting dry mayfly patterns upstream to rising trout the sole form of fly fishing. I was not brought up that way and find that way of thinking too limiting. For one thing it might severely limit my time on the water, and would force me to dump about three quarters of my beloved fly fishing gear. However, I must admit, there's a certain undying quality to casting classic dry flies upstream to rising trout.

But it does not stop there, there are a few species that entomologists have identified. I caught one of the flies and put it into my fly box, and after lunch that day at Ferdon's I tied some patterns of the fly as just about as I could. They have to be huge enough to carry your fly line and 150 yards of backing. Tippets should be 0x or smaller, Erie steelheaders can go up to 4x on clear water days. Well that is it if you haven't tried steelhead fly fishing you are in for a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment