Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Selecting Steelhead Gear.

Asking what steelhead rod one should use for fly fishing is no different. Most steelheaders use at least a 7 weight rod.

A 7 weight, to my mind is the ultimate all around steelhead rod, that may work for any steelhead conditions. So before you purchase, consider the fishing you most plan to do. If your favourite stream is huge and the fish are massive and this is robust then 7 weight may not be giant enough, if the stream is smaller and the fish are in the 6 pound range than 7 weight will be lots. As for length, the comprehensive shortest rod I'd use is 9 foot. Again think about the conditions and the same rules for weight, kind of work for length. While playing a steelhead, the reel becomes far more than just a place to store your fly line. There are still ultra purists who consider casting dry mayfly patterns upstream to rising trout the sole form of fly fishing. I was not brought up that way and find that way of thinking too limiting. For one thing it might severely limit my time on the water, and would force me to dump about 3/4 of my beloved fly fishing gear. And if that were available to me year round, well I'd move to closer to ultra purist standing. But it is Latin name is Ephemerella subvaria, and then there's the Light Hendrickson and it is Latin name Ephemerella invaria. I caught one of the flies and put it into my fly box, and after lunch that day at Ferdon's I tied some patterns of the fly as virtually as I could. They have to be giant enough to carry your fly line and 150 yards of backing. Erie steelheaders have a tendency to use floating line as the brooks are smaller, they are perfect.

Tippets should be 0x or smaller, Erie steelheaders can go up to 4x on clear water days.
Click the link for latest stuff all about fishing for halibut

No comments:

Post a Comment